|10VANCOUVER78||2010-02-17 22:28:00||UNCLASSIFIED//FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY||Consulate Vancouver|
1. (SBU) The following report provides security-related
information for the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympic Games as of noon
on February 17, 2010. Please visit the following link for
additional classified reporting:
010. The interagency USG Joint Operations Center can be contacted
on a 24-hour basis at 604-692-2509, ext 4013.
2. (SBU) Current Protest Activity - United Church of Canada
members, University of British Columbia Catholic students, Regent
College evangelical students, and Streams of Justice will stage an
anti-Olympic march to (UBC) Thunderbird Arena today at noon. The
march, which is expected to be peaceful, will highlight how the
Olympics have historically displaced housing for the poor. The
Thunderbird Arena hosts women's ice hockey events, which begin at
3. (U//FOUO//LES) Additionally, members of Fathers-4-Justice (F4J)
- an organization that campaigns against the family law system, had
planned a stunt demonstration, possibly to climb or chain
themselves to the Lions Gate Bridge or another bridge in BC's Lower
Mainland. Previous direct actions by F4J have included scaling the
New Westminster BC Supreme Court building, the Sapperton SkyTrain
Station, and the Alex Fraser Bridge. The F4J website states that
members use non-violent direct actions and civil disobedience to
attract publicity to their campaign and exert pressure on
politicians. As of 0645 PST, DS sources reported local police
presence on the Lions Gate Bridge. Police were on the scene in
response to reports F4J activists had unfurled a banner on the
bridge during the morning rush hour.
4. (SBU) Anticipated Protest Activity - No protests are currently
scheduled for 18 or 19 February. The next demonstration - a "Rally
for National Housing" - is scheduled for noon on Saturday, February
20 at the Vancouver Art Gallery. Diplomatic Security will continue
to monitor protest activity and will provide updates as they become
5. (U) LiveCity Yaletown Concert Canceled After Spectator Injuries
- Open sources report the Alexisonfire concert at the LiveCity
Yaletown Olympic venue was canceled February 16 after spectator
injuries resulted from an alleged "rowdy" and "violent" crowd.
Several Twitter users report that a barricade collapsed and injured
fans just as the band started to play their concert set. The venue
will reopen for events this evening.
6. (SBU) At this time, there are no known specific, credible
terrorist threats against the Vancouver Olympics.
7. (U//FOUO/LES) Telephonic Threat to Four Seasons Hotel in
Whistler - The Royal Canadian Mounted Police investigated this
threat - communicated February 16 - and have attributed it to a
disgruntled former guest who called from California. The FBI has
shared information with the RCMP; there appears to be no nexus to
terrorism and the threat appears to lack substance.
8. (SBU) Other than scheduled USOC and team movements, no major
Olympics-related security operations have transpired during this
PUBLIC AFFAIRS/PUBLIC DIPLOMACY
9. Ambassador Jacobson made an appearance on CTV's Canada AM
television show this morning. In a live broadcast from Whistler,
the Ambassador offered positive remarks on the manner in which the
Games have been conducted, on the displays of Canadian national
pride and patriotism and on the general spirit of goodwill evident
in the Games. Canada AM's estimated audience on 1.6 million
viewers across Canada. Also the Ambassador's Olympics blog
highlighting the enjoyable experience was featured and linked in
leading national newspaper the Globe and Mail 's political blog.
10. Nothing significant to report.
11. The US Presidential Delegation to the Closing Ceremony of the
2010 Winter Olympics will be led by Secretary of the Department of
Homeland Security Janet Napolitano and include Secretary of the
Department of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius and U.S.
Ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice.
12. Unseasonably warm weather conditions continue in the
Vancouver area. A schedule and results of all competitions
throughout the Games can be found at