|09STATE110404||2009-10-26 20:36:00||UNCLASSIFIED//FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY||Secretary of State|
VZCZCXYZ0001 PP RUEHWEB DE RUEHC #0404 2992057 ZNR UUUUU ZZH P R 262036Z OCT 09 FM SECSTATE WASHDC TO RUEHMU/AMEMBASSY MANAGUA PRIORITY 0000 INFO RUETIAA/DIRNSA FT GEORGE G MEADE MD RUEAIIA/CIA WASHINGTON DC RHMCSUU/FBI WASHINGTON DC 0000 RUEKJCS/SECDEF WASHINGTON DC RUCPDOC/USDOC WASHINGTON DC 0000
UNCLAS STATE 110404
1. (U) This is an Action Request. See paragraph 4.
2. (U) The Department's Office of Defense Trade Controls
Compliance (PM/DTCC) requests Post's assistance in conducting
a pre-license check on license 050193786 for the export of
firearms to Nicaragua. Post is requested to complete this
Blue Lantern check within 30 days. Lack of response to a
Blue Lantern check will affect pending and future licenses
involving parties to this license.
3. (SBU) Reason for Request: Open source reporting
implicates end-user Nuevo Impacto in a series of straw
purchases and illicit exports of firearms from Nicaragua.
This check is to verify the facts of this reporting and
establish the bona fides of the Nicaraguan end-user.
4. (SBU) Action Request: Post is requested to establish the
bona fides of end-user Nuevo Impacto by verifying the facts
reported in the media about straw purchases and illicit
exports involving the company. Post is also requested to
make any necessary inquiries to representatives of the
company and appropriate authorities of the Government of
Nicaragua to determine if Nuevo Impacto is a reliable
recipient of U.S. Munitions Listed defense articles. In its
reply, Post may also comment on any other information
pertinent to these transactions such as security of
facilities and end-use.
5. (U) Details of license applications:
DTC Case: 050193786
2 Cobra 9mm Pistols
5 Cobra 32ACP Caliber Pistols
3 Cobra 22LR Caliber Rifles
10 Taurus 22LR Caliber Pistols
80 Savage Arms 22LR Caliber Rifles
License Value: USD $14,260
Valor Corporation of Florida
1001 Sawgrass Corporate Parkway
Sunrise, FL 33323
FOREIGN INTERMEDIATE CONSIGNEE:
Sercogua Nicaragua S.A.
Residencial Las Palmas, Costado Este de Enitel Las Palmas # 44
Camino Oriente # 3 Contiguo a Taca
For commercial resale in Nicaragua
6. (U) Submitted in support of the license application were
the following documents (PM/DTCC will fax documentation to
Posts upon request):
DSP-83 signed by Harry Lopez (Valor Corporation) dated
10/08/2009 and Ligia Aleman Lemus (Nuevo Impacto) dated
Import Authorization No. D-MGA-022/2009 issued by Policia
Nacional signed by Horacio Sobalvarro Barberena (Tel:
505-270-2214) dated 05/05/2009
Purchase Order from Nuevo Impacto signed by Ligia Aleman
Lemus dated 06/30/2009
7. (U) Please slug reply for PM/DTCC - BLUE LANTERN COORDINATOR and include the words "Blue Lantern" and the case number in the subject line. POC is Kyle M. Ballard, Phone: 202-663-1929; Email: BallardKM@state.gov; SIPRNET: BallardKM@state.sgov.gov. The Blue Lantern Guidebook (ref) is available as a PDF file on Intellipedia: http://www.intelink.gov/wiki/ Blue Lantern End-Use Monitoring Program
8. (U) Department is grateful for Post's assistance in this matter.