Identifier
Created
Classification
Origin
09RIYADH979
2009-07-29 13:44:00
UNCLASSIFIED//FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY
Embassy Riyadh
Cable title:  

SAUDI H1N1 UPDATE: FIRST DEATH, ARAB HEALTH

Tags:  ECON PGOV PREL TBIO KFLU CASC ASEC BEXP SA 
pdf how-to read a cable
VZCZCXRO9273
PP RUEHDE RUEHDH RUEHDIR
DE RUEHRH #0979 2101344
ZNR UUUUU ZZH
P 291344Z JUL 09
FM AMEMBASSY RIYADH
TO RUEHC/SECSTATE WASHDC PRIORITY 1290
INFO RUEHZM/GULF COOPERATION COUNCIL COLLECTIVE PRIORITY
RUEHEG/AMEMBASSY CAIRO PRIORITY 2737
RUEHPH/CDC ATLANTA GA PRIORITY
RUEAUSA/DEPT OF HHS WASHDC PRIORITY
UNCLAS RIYADH 000979 

SENSITIVE
SIPDIS

DEPT FOR NEA/ARP (HARRIS)

E.O. 12958: N/A
TAGS: ECON PGOV PREL TBIO KFLU CASC ASEC BEXP SA
SUBJECT: SAUDI H1N1 UPDATE: FIRST DEATH, ARAB HEALTH
MINISTERS BAN VULNERABLE GROUPS FROM HAJJ

UNCLAS RIYADH 000979 SENSITIVE SIPDIS DEPT FOR NEA/ARP (HARRIS) E.O. 12958: N/A TAGS: ECON PGOV PREL TBIO KFLU CASC ASEC BEXP SA SUBJECT: SAUDI H1N1 UPDATE: FIRST DEATH, ARAB HEALTH MINISTERS BAN VULNERABLE GROUPS FROM HAJJ ¶1. (SBU) The Ministry of Health reported Saudi Arabia's first H1N1 death July 27. Saleh Al-Shehri, a 30 year old Saudi man, died in Dammam reportedly after contracting H1N1 from an infected individual he had been visiting frequently. Al-Shehri's family accused the private hospital of negligence for failing to correctly diagnose and treat the patient in time. The Ministry reportedly has formed a team to investige Al-Shehri's death. ¶2. (SBU) At a special session of the Regional Committee for the World Health Organization (WHO) in Cairo July 22, Arab health ministers agreed to restrict those over 65, under 12, and the chronically sick from performing this year's Hajj due to fears over the spread of H1N1. The WHO said the decision must be ratified by the health ministers' governments, including Saudi Arabia, though WHO regional director Hussein Gezairi did not anticipate opposition. When asked if there would be fewer worshippers at this year's Hajj due to the restrictions, Saudi Health Minister al-Rabeeah reportedly said "probably." The Ministry spokesman Khaled Marghlani said July 26 that Riyadh was likely to decide to impose the restriction, and that the Ministry would press for pilgrims to be vaccinated against H1N1 if such a vaccination became available before the Hajj. Indonesia is reportedly sending the same number of pilgrims to the Hajj this year as last year, but is considering excluding vulnerable populations. ¶3. (SBU) Comment: This change in policy, if implemented, may cause popular discontent in countries with large Muslim populations since elderly pilgrims are heavily represented at what for many Muslims is a once in a lifetime experience. RUNDELL

Share this cable

 facebook -  bluesky -