|09PARAMARIBO122||2009-04-30 18:34:00||UNCLASSIFIED||Embassy Paramaribo|
VZCZCXYZ0002 RR RUEHWEB DE RUEHPO #0122 1201834 ZNR UUUUU ZZH R 301834Z APR 09 FM AMEMBASSY PARAMARIBO TO SECSTATE WASHDC 0685
UNCLAS PARAMARIBO 000122
1. (U) SUMMARY. Post requests DVC speakers for two DVCs on
business. The DVCs will provide Post the opportunity to reach out
to the Surinamese business sector in order to advance U.S.-Suriname
trade. End Summary.
2. (U) PROGRAM DESCRIPTION: Post requests speakers for two separate
business-related DVCs. For the first, we request a DVC speaker on
"Promoting Surinamese Crafts in the American Market." The
Government of Suriname has identified its crafts sector as an area
for development. Promoting and expanding this sector would
contribute to the development of women-operated micro and small
businesses. This DVC would provide artisans and crafters information
on tools needed to expand their businesses across national borders.
3. (U) For the second DVC, we request an export specialist from U.S.
Department of Commerce in Miami, or other appropriate speaker, to do
a presentation on "Doing Business in Miami." Miami serves as the
main gateway to the United States for Surinamese businesspeople, and
this DVC would provide tools to entrepreneurs not yet doing business
with the United States. The speaker would address the audience on
finding suppliers, understanding tax regulations, opening bank
accounts, and other key topics.
4. (U) TIME FRAME: First and/or second week of September 2009.
5. (U) PROGRAM PURPOSE: The DVC on "Promoting Surinamese Crafts in
the American Market" would educate artisans and crafters on how to
develop product lines that would be of interest to Americans, and
how to access the U.S. market. The Government of Suriname has
identified its crafts sector as an area for development. This DVC
would expand Post's outreach to local artisans and crafters. The
DVC on "Doing Business with Miami" would expand the number of
Surinamese businesses using Miami-based business or warehouses as
their distributors or suppliers. The business community has
repeatedly requested the Embassy expand our commercial programming,
and this would serve to fit the need of businesspeople not yet
trading with the USA.
6. (U) MSP STRATEGIC GOALS: Goal #1 Mutual U.S./Suriname
appreciation and respect contributing to a more effective
partnership. Goal #4 Evident U.S. Contribution to Suriname's
improved economic and social development.
7. (U) AUDIENCE: The audience for the DVC on crafts would include
private sector artisans and crafters, as well as representatives of
NGOs, artisanal groups, and the government. The audience for the
DVC on "Doing Business with Miami" would be Surinamese business
owners and entrepreneurs. Post will liaise with the Chamber of
Commerce and Industry in Suriname in order to prepare a guest list
for this event.
8. (U) PROPOSED TOPIC AND NATURE OF EVENTS: Post requests two DVCs,
one on "Promoting Surinamese Crafts in the American Market" and a
second on "Doing Business with Miami."
9. (U) NAME(S) OF DESIRED SPECIALISTS: Post has not yet identified
speakers, but would prefer a speaker from Suriname's Partner State
of South Dakota for the crafts promotion DVC. Post will coordinate
with Washington to identify appropriate speakers.
10. (U) LANGUAGE: English
11. (U) POST CONTACT INFORMATION: Geneve Menscher, P/E Chief, tel:
(597) 472 900 extension 2205, fax: (597) 420 800, email:
MenscherGE@state.gov; Judith Dijks, Commercial Assistant, tel: (597)
472-900 ext. 2267, fax: (597) 425 690, email: DijksJB@state.gov.
12. (U) FUNDING SPECIFICS: Post would be willing to use I-Bucks in
support of this program.