DE RUEHMO #0678 0790843
ZNR UUUUU ZZH
P 200843Z MAR 09
FM AMEMBASSY MOSCOW
TO RUCPDOC/USDOC WASHDC PRIORITY
INFO RUEHC/SECSTATE WASHDC 2452
RHMFIUU/US CUSTOMS AND BORDER PROTECTION WASHINGTON DC
UNCLAS MOSCOW 000678
USDOC FOR 532/OEA/M.HAMES/L.RITTER USDOC FOR 3150/USFCS/OIO/CEENIS/MCOSTA USDOC FOR 532/OEE/MO'BRIEN USDOC FOR 532/BIS/OEA/TWILLIS/EHOLLAND/ANALYST
1. Unauthorized disclosure of the information provided below is prohibited by Section 12C of the Export Administration Act.
2. Reftel requested a post-shipment verification to determine the legitimacy and reliability of the end-user, OAO Nizhegorodskaya Ges, Nizhni Novgorod Region, Zalvolzhye, Russia. The company is listed on BIS license application D372417 as the ultimate consignee of one (1) thermal imaging camera, model no. T145FT10/20/54, containing a vanadium oxide uncooled micro-bolometer focal plane array designed for industrial and facilities maintenance applications. These items are controlled for national security, anti-terrorism, nuclear non-proliferation, regional stability and UN sanctions reasons under ECCN 6A003. The licensee is Fluke Corporation, 6920 Seaway Blvd., Everett, WA 98204.
3. On March 4, 2009, Export Control Attach Peter Liston and LES Natalya Shipitsina conducted the requested post-shipment verification with OAO Nizhegorodskaya Ges, Nizhni Novgorod Region, Zalvolzhye, Russia. The export control team met with Vladimir Pogodin, Head of Electro-Technical Laboratory and Vadim Sidorov, Head of Economic Security Department at their offices in Zalvolzhye.
4. OAO Nizhegorodskaya Ges, a hydro electric station, was established in 1956. The plant has 8 huge turbines and produces 520 million megawatts of power. OAO Nizhegorodskaya Ges is a privately held company owned in part by RusHydro, and employs approximately 130 people.
5. The export control team inspected the reftel commodity and was shown a computerized demonstration of its applications and use at the plant. Vladimir Pogodin stated that the thermal imaging camera is being used at the plant for predictive maintenance, trouble shooting, and installation verification for electrical and mechanical applications. The ECO noted the serial number of the Fluke thermal imaging camera as 2648533.
6. The export control team found the reftel commodity in working condition at the consigneeQs facility. The equipment is being used for the end use for which it was licensed. There were no indications of impropriety and the consigneeQs answers were not evasive.
7. Recommendations: Post recommends OAO Nizhegorodskaya Ges, Nizhni Novgorod Region, Zalvolzhye, Russia as a reliable recipient of sensitive U.S. origin commodities. (FCS MOSCOW/JMARKS/PLISTON) BEYRLE