Identifier
Created
Classification
Origin
08JERUSALEM2265
2008-12-18 16:20:00
CONFIDENTIAL
Consulate Jerusalem
Cable title:  

PA OFFICIALS CONCERNED EVICTION ORDERS FOR BEDOUIN

Tags:  PREL PBTS PREF KWBG KPAL IS 
pdf how-to read a cable
VZCZCXRO9827
PP RUEHROV
DE RUEHJM #2265 3531620
ZNY CCCCC ZZH
P 181620Z DEC 08
FM AMCONSUL JERUSALEM
TO RUEHC/SECSTATE WASHDC PRIORITY 3549
INFO RUEHXK/ARAB ISRAELI COLLECTIVE PRIORITY
RHEHNSC/NSC WASHDC PRIORITY
C O N F I D E N T I A L JERUSALEM 002265 

SIPDIS

NEA FOR FRONT OFFICE; NSC FOR ABRAMS/RAMCHAND/PASCUAL

E.O. 12958: DECL: 12/18/2018
TAGS: PREL PBTS PREF KWBG KPAL IS
SUBJECT: PA OFFICIALS CONCERNED EVICTION ORDERS FOR BEDOUIN
INDICATE E-1 EXPANSION

REF: JERUSALEM 1232

Classified By: Acting Principal Officer Greg Marchese for reasons 1.4 (
b) and (d).

C O N F I D E N T I A L JERUSALEM 002265 SIPDIS NEA FOR FRONT OFFICE; NSC FOR ABRAMS/RAMCHAND/PASCUAL E.O. 12958: DECL: 12/18/2018 TAGS: PREL PBTS PREF KWBG KPAL IS SUBJECT: PA OFFICIALS CONCERNED EVICTION ORDERS FOR BEDOUIN INDICATE E-1 EXPANSION REF: JERUSALEM 1232 Classified By: Acting Principal Officer Greg Marchese for reasons 1.4 ( b) and (d). ¶1. (C) Summary. Members of the Jahalin bedouin tribe living in area C, along the main road connecting Jerusalem and Jericho, received demolition orders from the IDF on December 8, and verbal instructions to demolish their homes no later than December 15. Palestinian residents and senior PLO and PA officials have claimed the demolition orders indicate renewed GOI intent to create a settlement in the E-1 area between Jerusalem and Maale Adumim. End Summary. Demolition Orders Issued -------------- ¶2. (C) Members of the Jahalin bedouin tribe living in area C, along Route One, the road connecting Jerusalem and Jericho, received demolition orders from the IDF on December 8, and verbal instructions to demolish their homes no later than December 15. Mohammed Khalil Abu Hadid, a senior member of the Jahalin tribe, told POLOFF on December 17 that two encampments within E-1, consisting of 17 structures and inhabited by approximately 60 UNRWA-registered refugees, are affected. (Note: Israeli NGOs and Palestinian residents assert the site is in E-1. Post has not yet confirmed this with GOI master plans. End note.) The eastern-most site is approximately 200 meters north of Route One, and lies 1.1 km west of the Mishor Adumim industrial park entrance. The second site lies approximately 300 meters to the west of the first site. ¶3. (C) Abu Hadid said the two sites have previously received demolition orders or notices that they lacked permits, but there has never been a demolition. He said the site has served as a winter home for the group "for decades." Attorney Shlomo Lecker, representing the families, told Poloff on December 17 that the December 8 order to demolish the homes followed orders issued in February 2008 instructing the residents to obtain building permits for the existing structures. Lecker said they did not attempt to comply because of the low probability of obtaining permits in area C. Strong, Public Palestinian Reaction -------------- ¶4. (C) Abu Hadid and Lecker told POLOFF that, if the demolitions take place, they would indicate renewed activity in E-1. PLO Secretary General Yaser Abd Rabbo and PM Fayyad's Jerusalem Affairs Adviser, Hatim Abd-al-Qader, released public statements coinciding with the December 15 deadline, saying the demolition orders represent renewed GOI interest in E-1 expansion. ¶5. (C) Comment. It is difficult to determine whether or not these demolition orders are related to plans for new work at E-1. PA and PLO expressions of concern over the orders, even before demolitions take place, do reflect concerns about E-1. End comment. MARCHESE

Share this cable

 facebook -  bluesky -