Identifier
Created
Classification
Origin
08JERUSALEM2181
2008-12-02 15:12:00
CONFIDENTIAL
Consulate Jerusalem
Cable title:  

SETTLER VIOLENCE IN HEBRON CONTINUES

Tags:  KWBG PHUM ASEC IS PBTS PTER 
pdf how-to read a cable
VZCZCXRO4022
PP RUEHROV
DE RUEHJM #2181 3371512
ZNY CCCCC ZZH
P 021512Z DEC 08
FM AMCONSUL JERUSALEM
TO RUEHC/SECSTATE WASHDC PRIORITY 3429
INFO RUEHXK/ARAB ISRAELI COLLECTIVE PRIORITY
RHEHNSC/WHITE HOUSE NSC PRIORITY
C O N F I D E N T I A L JERUSALEM 002181 

SIPDIS

NEA FOR FRONT OFFICE. NSC FOR ABRAMS/RAMCHAND/PASCUAL

E.O. 12958: DECL: 12/02/2018
TAGS: KWBG PHUM ASEC IS PBTS PTER
SUBJECT: SETTLER VIOLENCE IN HEBRON CONTINUES

REF: JERUSALEM 2091

Classified By: Consul General Jake Walles, per reasons 1.4 (b) and (d)

C O N F I D E N T I A L JERUSALEM 002181 SIPDIS NEA FOR FRONT OFFICE. NSC FOR ABRAMS/RAMCHAND/PASCUAL E.O. 12958: DECL: 12/02/2018 TAGS: KWBG PHUM ASEC IS PBTS PTER SUBJECT: SETTLER VIOLENCE IN HEBRON CONTINUES REF: JERUSALEM 2091 Classified By: Consul General Jake Walles, per reasons 1.4 (b) and (d) ¶1. (C) Summary. Hebron settlers have repeatedly engaged in violence to prevent the court-ordered evacuation of the Rajabi compound. According to NGO B'tselem, on November 29, settlers injured seven Palestinians by throwing rocks from the Rajabi compound, badly damaged 28 Palestinian vehicles, smashed the windows of several houses near the Rajabi compund, and desecrated 25 gravestones in a nearby Muslim graveyard. Three more Palestinians required medical treatment on November 30 after settlers attacked them. No settlers were arrested. On December 1, after about 1,200 additional settlers arrived in Hebron, the IDF subdued dozens of rioting settlers with tear gas. End summary. RENEWED SETTLER VIOLENCE -------------- ¶2. (C) Issa Amro of NGO B'tselem told Poloff December 1 that settlers injured seven Palestinians November 29 and three Palestinians November 30 by throwing rocks from the Rajabi compound. Amro was present at the site and filmed the violence. Amro said that, of this total of ten injured, Amro among them, seven needed multiple stitches for head wounds. Amro said he called on an Israeli Border Policeman who observed the assault on Amro to arrest the perpetrator, or at least obtain his name and Israeli ID number. Amro said the policeman subsequently took the settler to a police vehicle, but then released him, later telling Amro, "each time I arrest settlers, my commander tells me to release them." ¶3. (C) Amro said Hebron settlers from Kiryat Arba and the Rajabi compound marched in the Israeli-controlled H2 area of Hebron and desecrated 25 gravestones in a Muslim graveyard near the compound. He said the settlers, chanting slogans including "death to Arabs," smashed the windows and slashed the tires of 28 Palestinian vehicles near the Tomb of the Patriarchs/Ibrahimi Mosque, and smashed the windows of "many" Palestinian homes. ¶4. (C) U.N. Office for the Coordinator of Humanitarian Affairs southern field worker Hamad Qawasneh told Poloff on December 2 that about 1,200 settlers arrived in Hebron on December 1 in response to a settler email appealing for help, claiming that the evacuation of the Rajabi compound would occur in 24-48 hours. Qawasneh said violence markedly increased with the influx of settlers, who tried to set fire to three houses, threw rocks at Palestinians, and were subdued around midnight by tear gas fired by IDF soldiers. SETTLERS BLAME EVERYONE ELSE -------------- ¶5. (C) David Wilder, father of a Rajabi compound settler and spokesman for the Hebron settlers, told Poloff December 1 that the November 29 events were "a total set up." He said a border policeman attacked a settler woman and the Palestinians began throwing rocks, while the media was "already in place and waiting." He said settlers had been informed of the border policeman's suspension. WALLES

Share this cable

 facebook -  bluesky -