Identifier
Created
Classification
Origin
08DILI39
2008-02-11 07:56:00
UNCLASSIFIED//FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY
Embassy Dili
Cable title:  

EMBASSY DILI EAC MEETING, 11 FEBRUARY 2008

Tags:  ASEC AMGT CASC TT 
pdf how-to read a cable
VZCZCXRO4461
OO RUEHDT
DE RUEHDT #0039 0420756
ZNR UUUUU ZZH
O 110756Z FEB 08
FM AMEMBASSY DILI
TO RUEHC/SECSTATE WASHDC IMMEDIATE 3846
INFO RUEHBY/AMEMBASSY CANBERRA IMMEDIATE 1116
RUEHJA/AMEMBASSY JAKARTA IMMEDIATE 0952
RUEHBK/AMEMBASSY BANGKOK IMMEDIATE 0856
RHMFIUU/CDR USPACOM HONOLULU HI
RUEHDT/AMEMBASSY DILI 3269
UNCLAS DILI 000039 

SIPDIS

SENSITIVE
SIPDIS

DEPT FOR EAP/MTS, CA/OCS, S/ES-O/CMS, DS/IP/EAP, DS/DSS/ITS

E.O. 12958: N/A
TAGS: ASEC AMGT CASC TT
SUBJECT: EMBASSY DILI EAC MEETING, 11 FEBRUARY 2008


UNCLAS DILI 000039 SIPDIS SENSITIVE SIPDIS DEPT FOR EAP/MTS, CA/OCS, S/ES-O/CMS, DS/IP/EAP, DS/DSS/ITS E.O. 12958: N/A TAGS: ASEC AMGT CASC TT SUBJECT: EMBASSY DILI EAC MEETING, 11 FEBRUARY 2008 ¶1. (SBU) Charge convened Embassy Dili's Emergency Action Committee at 1300 hours on Monday, February 11 in response to the shooting earlier that morning of President Jose Ramos-Horta and attempted shooting of Prime Minister Xanana Gusmao by the group of fugitive military dissidents associated with Major Alfredo Reinado, the former head of Timor Leste's Military Police. EAC participants included Charge, RSO, Management Officer, Information Management Officer, POL/ECON/CONS/PD officer, Milrep (ODC),Acting USAID Mission Director, USAID Executive Officer, and Ambassador's OMS. ¶2. (SBU) Noting that Dili was calm as of that time, Charge summarized a briefing for the diplomatic corps just given by Deputy Prime Minister Jose Luis Guterres and Foreign Minister Zacarias Da Costa. Charge reported that DPM Guterres and ForMin Da Costa confirmed that Reinado had been killed in the attack on President Ramos-Horta, and that the GOTL intended to announce this shortly. The DPM and ForMin expressed some concern about possible violent reaction to the announcement by Reinado's supporters in Dili and elsewhere in Timor-Leste, but said they had put extra security measures in place. DPM Guterres said that Prime Minister Xanana Gusmao had met with the acting head of the United Nations Integrated Mission in Timor (UNMIT) and the commander of the International Stabilization Force (ISF) on next steps. That group agreed that the ISF, the National Police (PNTL),Armed Forces (F-FDTL),and United Nations Police Mission (UNPOL) would devise a plan to provide public security and apprehend surviving perpetrators of the attack. ¶3. (SBU) Charge noted that post had already sent out a warden message to Amcits advising them to limit their movements, exercise caution, and remain in contact with the Embassy for further updates. ¶4. (SBU) RSO noted that he had been in touch with both Dili International School and Quality International School, and that as a precautionary measure, both had sent their students home. RSO agreed to touch base with school officials both at COB Monday and OOB Tuesday to discuss the advisability of holding classes. RSO said he had been in touch with UNMIT security personnel, who had confirmed that Dili was calm and that they would be setting up checkpoints around town to ensure security. RSO agreed that for tonight, we would advise Embassy personnel not to travel after dark. RSO noted that our local guard staff was currently in place at full strength, and that the Embassy's security posture was unchanged. ¶5. (SBU) Management officer noted that all 27 members of the official American community are accounted for. He reported that post has a 28-day supply of fuel and an ample supply of MREs. MO also said he would ensure that draft evacuation orders were current should they be needed. Charge said that with the exception of a small number of essential employees, liberal leave could be granted to local national employees concerned about their families' security. ¶6. (SBU) IMO said that post's radio network had been activated and satellite phones were charged. He agreed to conduct a radio check on Monday evening. Charge noted that Timor-Leste's cell phone network seemed to be overburdened, with many calls not going through or being dropped. ¶7. (SBU) MilRep said reported that the Commander of Timor-Leste's Armed Forces (F-FDTL) had ordered his troops to their barracks for the time being, and that this order was being obeyed. ¶8. (SBU) POL/CONS/ECON/PD noted that we had had few inquiries from non-official Amcits in country, but that he would field these calls as needed. He agreed to respond to any questions from journalists based on the brief statement prepared by Charge and cleared by the Department. RECTOR

Share this cable

 facebook -  bluesky -