Identifier
Created
Classification
Origin
08CONAKRY668
2008-11-03 16:57:00
UNCLASSIFIED//FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY
Embassy Conakry
Cable title:
CONAKRY DEMONSTRATIONS CONTINUE INTO THE EARLY
VZCZCXRO1949 PP RUEHMA RUEHPA DE RUEHRY #0668 3081657 ZNR UUUUU ZZH P 031657Z NOV 08 FM AMEMBASSY CONAKRY TO RUEHC/SECSTATE WASHDC PRIORITY 3113 INFO RUEHZK/ECOWAS COLLECTIVE RHMFISS/HQ USAFRICOM STUTTGART GE RHEFDIA/DIA WASHINGTON DC RUEAIIA/CIA WASHDC
UNCLAS CONAKRY 000668
SIPDIS
SENSITIVE
E.O. 12958: N/A
TAGS: ASEC PGOV GV
SUBJECT: CONAKRY DEMONSTRATIONS CONTINUE INTO THE EARLY
EVENING
UNCLAS CONAKRY 000668
SIPDIS
SENSITIVE
E.O. 12958: N/A
TAGS: ASEC PGOV GV
SUBJECT: CONAKRY DEMONSTRATIONS CONTINUE INTO THE EARLY
EVENING
1. (SBU) Random, spontaneous demonstrations continued
throughout the day in Conakry, effectively shutting down
major traffic intersections. There have been occasional
reports of security forces firing into the air, but no
indications that security forces are firing directly at
crowds. As of 1630, Embassy was still receiving reports of
unrest in various parts of the city.
2. (SBU) Around 1330, approximately 250 to 300 youths were
marching in protest between Bambeto Circle and Kipe, passing
directly in front of the Embassy. Police responded to the
scene, effectively forcing the crowd to divert to a dirt road
behind the Embassy. A/RSO witnessed a MAMBA police officer
(police special unit) flogging one of the demonstrators.
Police forces sporadically fired into the air, and the
demonstrators eventually dispersed.
3. (SBU) At one point, the RSO invited the small contingent
of gendarmes, who are assigned by the GoG to guard the
Embassy, to enter the Embassy compound since it was more
secure. One of the gendarmes refused and was cheering on the
protestors from the sidelines.
4. (SBU) Bambeto traffic circle, which is located just up
the hill from the Embassy, has been volatile throughout the
day. At approximately 1400, protestors detained the French
DATT, who was driving in a vehicle with diplomatic plates.
He reportedly descended from his vehicle and gave up the cash
he was carrying. He was then allowed to get back in his
vehicle and leave the area. The French DATT told Embassy
DATT that several uniformed security officers were present,
but that they did not intervene.
5. (SBU) A youth leader told DATT that one youth leader had
been killed during the day, and five injured. Contact had
personally seen the body.
6. (SBU) RSO spoke briefly with the new Minister of Security
earlier this afternoon. The Minister said that "things will
get better," but did not seem to have any specific ideas
about how to resolve the security situation. With respect to
the fuel price issue, the Minister said that the GoG does not
intend to reduce the price any further, and that the labor
unions initially agreed to the current 5,500 GnF price level.
However, he added that a union representative planned to go
on the radio later this evening demanding further price
reductions.
7. (SBU) The labor unions were unable to meet during the day
due to transportation issues and the general unrest.
8. (SBU) Airport contacts report that the airport remains
open and that no flights have been canceled. They noted that
the airlines are watching the situation closely. (NOTE. AIR
France is scheduled to fly into Conakry tonight at 20:10.
END NOTE).
9. (SBU) The Embassy's military liaison officer has been
downtown at Camp Samory Toure all day. He reported that the
roads just beyond the Ministry of Defense are blocked, and
that there is significant protest activity in the downtown
area. Contact said that the soldiers are staying in the
camps, although DATT saw a small contingent of Red Berets
(presidential guards) on route to Bambeto Circle around
15:00. The gendarmes have been deployed to various
locations, but are generally deferring to the police for
crowd control. According to contact, the Ministry of Defense
is trying to organize transportation to get people home,
rather than maintaining a contingency FORCE on the bases.
--------------
COMMENT
--------------
10. (SBU) Although security forces have been out dispersing
crowds, the protestors generally wait, regroup, and then
resume protest activity elsewhere. There have not been any
reports of widespread lawlessness such as vandalism or
looting. Embassy convened an EAC at 15:30 (reported septel)
and will continue to monitor the situation. END COMMENT.
RASPOLIC
SIPDIS
SENSITIVE
E.O. 12958: N/A
TAGS: ASEC PGOV GV
SUBJECT: CONAKRY DEMONSTRATIONS CONTINUE INTO THE EARLY
EVENING
1. (SBU) Random, spontaneous demonstrations continued
throughout the day in Conakry, effectively shutting down
major traffic intersections. There have been occasional
reports of security forces firing into the air, but no
indications that security forces are firing directly at
crowds. As of 1630, Embassy was still receiving reports of
unrest in various parts of the city.
2. (SBU) Around 1330, approximately 250 to 300 youths were
marching in protest between Bambeto Circle and Kipe, passing
directly in front of the Embassy. Police responded to the
scene, effectively forcing the crowd to divert to a dirt road
behind the Embassy. A/RSO witnessed a MAMBA police officer
(police special unit) flogging one of the demonstrators.
Police forces sporadically fired into the air, and the
demonstrators eventually dispersed.
3. (SBU) At one point, the RSO invited the small contingent
of gendarmes, who are assigned by the GoG to guard the
Embassy, to enter the Embassy compound since it was more
secure. One of the gendarmes refused and was cheering on the
protestors from the sidelines.
4. (SBU) Bambeto traffic circle, which is located just up
the hill from the Embassy, has been volatile throughout the
day. At approximately 1400, protestors detained the French
DATT, who was driving in a vehicle with diplomatic plates.
He reportedly descended from his vehicle and gave up the cash
he was carrying. He was then allowed to get back in his
vehicle and leave the area. The French DATT told Embassy
DATT that several uniformed security officers were present,
but that they did not intervene.
5. (SBU) A youth leader told DATT that one youth leader had
been killed during the day, and five injured. Contact had
personally seen the body.
6. (SBU) RSO spoke briefly with the new Minister of Security
earlier this afternoon. The Minister said that "things will
get better," but did not seem to have any specific ideas
about how to resolve the security situation. With respect to
the fuel price issue, the Minister said that the GoG does not
intend to reduce the price any further, and that the labor
unions initially agreed to the current 5,500 GnF price level.
However, he added that a union representative planned to go
on the radio later this evening demanding further price
reductions.
7. (SBU) The labor unions were unable to meet during the day
due to transportation issues and the general unrest.
8. (SBU) Airport contacts report that the airport remains
open and that no flights have been canceled. They noted that
the airlines are watching the situation closely. (NOTE. AIR
France is scheduled to fly into Conakry tonight at 20:10.
END NOTE).
9. (SBU) The Embassy's military liaison officer has been
downtown at Camp Samory Toure all day. He reported that the
roads just beyond the Ministry of Defense are blocked, and
that there is significant protest activity in the downtown
area. Contact said that the soldiers are staying in the
camps, although DATT saw a small contingent of Red Berets
(presidential guards) on route to Bambeto Circle around
15:00. The gendarmes have been deployed to various
locations, but are generally deferring to the police for
crowd control. According to contact, the Ministry of Defense
is trying to organize transportation to get people home,
rather than maintaining a contingency FORCE on the bases.
--------------
COMMENT
--------------
10. (SBU) Although security forces have been out dispersing
crowds, the protestors generally wait, regroup, and then
resume protest activity elsewhere. There have not been any
reports of widespread lawlessness such as vandalism or
looting. Embassy convened an EAC at 15:30 (reported septel)
and will continue to monitor the situation. END COMMENT.
RASPOLIC