Identifier
Created
Classification
Origin
07RABAT751
2007-04-26 17:50:00
CONFIDENTIAL
Embassy Rabat
Cable title:
MOROCCO TERRORISM: MINISTER BRIEFS ON CT STEPS,
VZCZCXRO8389 PP RUEHBC RUEHDE RUEHKUK RUEHROV DE RUEHRB #0751/01 1161750 ZNY CCCCC ZZH P 261750Z APR 07 FM AMEMBASSY RABAT TO RUEHC/SECSTATE WASHDC PRIORITY 6432 INFO RUEHEE/ARAB LEAGUE COLLECTIVE RUEHCL/AMCONSUL CASABLANCA 2984
C O N F I D E N T I A L SECTION 01 OF 02 RABAT 000751
SIPDIS
SIPDIS
TERREP
E.O. 12958: DECL: 04/26/2017
TAGS: PTER KISL PGOV MO
SUBJECT: MOROCCO TERRORISM: MINISTER BRIEFS ON CT STEPS,
MFA COMPLAINS OF CLOSURE, NGO ATTACKS EXTREMISM
REF: RABAT 701
Classified by Polcouns Craig Karp for reasons 1.4 (b) and (d).
-------
Summary
-------
C O N F I D E N T I A L SECTION 01 OF 02 RABAT 000751
SIPDIS
SIPDIS
TERREP
E.O. 12958: DECL: 04/26/2017
TAGS: PTER KISL PGOV MO
SUBJECT: MOROCCO TERRORISM: MINISTER BRIEFS ON CT STEPS,
MFA COMPLAINS OF CLOSURE, NGO ATTACKS EXTREMISM
REF: RABAT 701
Classified by Polcouns Craig Karp for reasons 1.4 (b) and (d).
--------------
Summary
--------------
1. (C) In remarks before parliament on April 25, Minister of
Interior Benmoussa warned that the threat from terrorism is
real and always present. He detailed efforts to upgrade
security across the country and said there have been 59
terror-related arrests since March 11. A parliamentary
contact praised the Minister's candor, as did MPs speaking to
the Moroccan media. Meanwhile, reflecting broader societal
revulsion of the new cases of suicide bombing, a prominent
Moroccan NGO has launched a media campaign drawing on
Moroccan folk culture to assault extremist ideology.
Speaking privately, a mid-level MFA official strongly
complained to poloff earlier this week about the continued
closure of the Consulate in Casablanca, terming the U.S.
request for partial closure of the street in front of the
building "unreasonable." Fortunately, we have seen no
indication of public support for the bombers but we share
Benmoussa's belief that the threat will remain with us. End
summary.
--------------
Minister Details to Parliament GOM CT Efforts
--------------
2. (SBU) On April 25, Moroccan Minister of Interior Chakib
Benmoussa appeared before parliament (at the request of
parliamentarians) to brief them on the current terrorist
threat in the country and the government's actions to counter
it. Echoing remarks made by Communications Minister
Benabdellah last week (reftel),Benmoussa affirmed that
security forces were on high alert across the country. "The
danger is always present and terrorism threatens this country
at all times," he warned.
3. (SBU) The Minister said that 2,700 new police recruits
were in training and would be ready to be deployed by June.
2000 additional police have been assigned to Casablanca, the
site of several incidents in March and April. The Minister
added that security had been doubled at ports and airports,
and special attention was being paid to Ourzazate,
Errachidia, and Figuig, provincial cities on Morocco's
eastern flank.
4. (SBU) Benmoussa told the parliament that the GOM had made
a total of 49 arrests since the most recent round of
terrorist incidents began in Casablanca on March 11. Of the
59, ten have been released, 31 have been charged, and 18
remain under investigation. Benmoussa rejected analyses
linking terrorism in Morocco to poverty. "These terror acts
should by no means be blamed on the social conditions or on
the frustration and despair among some youth who blew
themselves up," he stated. Rather, he asserted, the evidence
suggests that misguided religious ideology provides the
terrorists their motivation, citing documents found in the
homes of suspects.
--------------
Favorable Reviews
--------------
5. (C) Parliamentarian Milouda Hazeb, who was present during
Benmoussa's appearance, told poloff April 26 that she was
impressed by the Minister's appearance and his candor.
Benmoussa's forthcoming parliamentary briefing "helped
reassure the country" that the GOM was working with
deliberation and care to fight terrorism in Morocco. Hazeb's
favorable impression of Benmoussa's remarks was echoed in
comments to Moroccan newspapers by the leaders of the major
party caucuses, who said his deliberation and openness were
appreciated.
6. (C) In her conversation with poloff, Hazeb added that she
took issue with Benmoussa's rejection of the link between
terror and poverty, arguing that poverty creates "fertile
ground" for terrorists to operate and recruit and hoped the
government would follow a two track approach: strengthening
the capabilities of the security forces on the one hand and
alleviating social marginalization on the other.
--------------
NGO Assaults Terror
--------------
RABAT 00000751 002 OF 002
7. (SBU) Reflecting public apprehension and revulsion at the
suicide bombings, the Moroccan NGO Afak ("Horizons") has
launched a public relations campaign assaulting extremist
ideology and terror. A 30 second spot airing this week on
several major independent radio stations attacks extremists
for "twisting Islam" and "teaching hate" at the expense of
the country. The spot, in colloquial Moroccan Arabic, mimics
the rhyme and cadence of traditional proverbs. Pamphlets
printed and distributed by Afak in Arabic and French warn of
the spread of an ideology "contrary to our values and marked
by hatred, intolerance, exclusion of the other, and
violence." The pamphlets urge citizens to be conscious of
the dangers such ideology hold for "our security and our
democratic and modern society," ending with the slogan "All
together against extremism."
-------------- --------------
MFA Counterterrorism Officer Critiques Consulate Closure
-------------- --------------
8. (SBU) The Minister's affirmations of a real and present
threat notwithstanding, MFA office director equivalent Karim
Halim complained privately to poloff on April 23 that the
U.S. request for partial street closure in front of the
Consulate-General in Casablanca was unreasonable and
unrealistic. The continued closure of the Consulate, and the
suspension of visa services in particular, he continued,
"sends the wrong message," and will undermine U.S. efforts to
promote economic growth and cultural exchange. Poloff
responded that the U.S. did not want to close the facility or
suspend services, but underlined that we would not compromise
the safety of our U.S. and Moroccan staff at the site.
--------------
Comment
--------------
9. (C) We have seen no indications, such as wall posters or
grafitti, of public support for the bombers. Quite the
contrary. Despite the lack of support, it is probable that
there are more jihadists ready to die out in the community.
Government efforts to mobilize communities against them
should help, but as Benmoussa maintained, the threat will
continue. End comment.
******************************************
Visit Embassy Rabat's Classified Website;
http://www.state.sgov.gov/p/nea/rabat
******************************************
RILEY
SIPDIS
SIPDIS
TERREP
E.O. 12958: DECL: 04/26/2017
TAGS: PTER KISL PGOV MO
SUBJECT: MOROCCO TERRORISM: MINISTER BRIEFS ON CT STEPS,
MFA COMPLAINS OF CLOSURE, NGO ATTACKS EXTREMISM
REF: RABAT 701
Classified by Polcouns Craig Karp for reasons 1.4 (b) and (d).
--------------
Summary
--------------
1. (C) In remarks before parliament on April 25, Minister of
Interior Benmoussa warned that the threat from terrorism is
real and always present. He detailed efforts to upgrade
security across the country and said there have been 59
terror-related arrests since March 11. A parliamentary
contact praised the Minister's candor, as did MPs speaking to
the Moroccan media. Meanwhile, reflecting broader societal
revulsion of the new cases of suicide bombing, a prominent
Moroccan NGO has launched a media campaign drawing on
Moroccan folk culture to assault extremist ideology.
Speaking privately, a mid-level MFA official strongly
complained to poloff earlier this week about the continued
closure of the Consulate in Casablanca, terming the U.S.
request for partial closure of the street in front of the
building "unreasonable." Fortunately, we have seen no
indication of public support for the bombers but we share
Benmoussa's belief that the threat will remain with us. End
summary.
--------------
Minister Details to Parliament GOM CT Efforts
--------------
2. (SBU) On April 25, Moroccan Minister of Interior Chakib
Benmoussa appeared before parliament (at the request of
parliamentarians) to brief them on the current terrorist
threat in the country and the government's actions to counter
it. Echoing remarks made by Communications Minister
Benabdellah last week (reftel),Benmoussa affirmed that
security forces were on high alert across the country. "The
danger is always present and terrorism threatens this country
at all times," he warned.
3. (SBU) The Minister said that 2,700 new police recruits
were in training and would be ready to be deployed by June.
2000 additional police have been assigned to Casablanca, the
site of several incidents in March and April. The Minister
added that security had been doubled at ports and airports,
and special attention was being paid to Ourzazate,
Errachidia, and Figuig, provincial cities on Morocco's
eastern flank.
4. (SBU) Benmoussa told the parliament that the GOM had made
a total of 49 arrests since the most recent round of
terrorist incidents began in Casablanca on March 11. Of the
59, ten have been released, 31 have been charged, and 18
remain under investigation. Benmoussa rejected analyses
linking terrorism in Morocco to poverty. "These terror acts
should by no means be blamed on the social conditions or on
the frustration and despair among some youth who blew
themselves up," he stated. Rather, he asserted, the evidence
suggests that misguided religious ideology provides the
terrorists their motivation, citing documents found in the
homes of suspects.
--------------
Favorable Reviews
--------------
5. (C) Parliamentarian Milouda Hazeb, who was present during
Benmoussa's appearance, told poloff April 26 that she was
impressed by the Minister's appearance and his candor.
Benmoussa's forthcoming parliamentary briefing "helped
reassure the country" that the GOM was working with
deliberation and care to fight terrorism in Morocco. Hazeb's
favorable impression of Benmoussa's remarks was echoed in
comments to Moroccan newspapers by the leaders of the major
party caucuses, who said his deliberation and openness were
appreciated.
6. (C) In her conversation with poloff, Hazeb added that she
took issue with Benmoussa's rejection of the link between
terror and poverty, arguing that poverty creates "fertile
ground" for terrorists to operate and recruit and hoped the
government would follow a two track approach: strengthening
the capabilities of the security forces on the one hand and
alleviating social marginalization on the other.
--------------
NGO Assaults Terror
--------------
RABAT 00000751 002 OF 002
7. (SBU) Reflecting public apprehension and revulsion at the
suicide bombings, the Moroccan NGO Afak ("Horizons") has
launched a public relations campaign assaulting extremist
ideology and terror. A 30 second spot airing this week on
several major independent radio stations attacks extremists
for "twisting Islam" and "teaching hate" at the expense of
the country. The spot, in colloquial Moroccan Arabic, mimics
the rhyme and cadence of traditional proverbs. Pamphlets
printed and distributed by Afak in Arabic and French warn of
the spread of an ideology "contrary to our values and marked
by hatred, intolerance, exclusion of the other, and
violence." The pamphlets urge citizens to be conscious of
the dangers such ideology hold for "our security and our
democratic and modern society," ending with the slogan "All
together against extremism."
-------------- --------------
MFA Counterterrorism Officer Critiques Consulate Closure
-------------- --------------
8. (SBU) The Minister's affirmations of a real and present
threat notwithstanding, MFA office director equivalent Karim
Halim complained privately to poloff on April 23 that the
U.S. request for partial street closure in front of the
Consulate-General in Casablanca was unreasonable and
unrealistic. The continued closure of the Consulate, and the
suspension of visa services in particular, he continued,
"sends the wrong message," and will undermine U.S. efforts to
promote economic growth and cultural exchange. Poloff
responded that the U.S. did not want to close the facility or
suspend services, but underlined that we would not compromise
the safety of our U.S. and Moroccan staff at the site.
--------------
Comment
--------------
9. (C) We have seen no indications, such as wall posters or
grafitti, of public support for the bombers. Quite the
contrary. Despite the lack of support, it is probable that
there are more jihadists ready to die out in the community.
Government efforts to mobilize communities against them
should help, but as Benmoussa maintained, the threat will
continue. End comment.
******************************************
Visit Embassy Rabat's Classified Website;
http://www.state.sgov.gov/p/nea/rabat
******************************************
RILEY