DE RUEHBUL #3016/01 2540229
ZNR UUUUU ZZH
P 110229Z SEP 07
FM AMEMBASSY KABUL
TO SECSTATE WASHDC PRIORITY 0118
UNCLAS KABUL 003016
DEPT FOR SCA/RA (JBRENNIG), SCA/A, DRL, INL/CNPR
E.O. 12958 N/A TAGS: PHUM SNAR PINR PTER AF SUBJECT: LEAHY VETTING REQUEST: ANP RANK REFORM OF CENTRAL COMMAND CENTER CANDIDATES (PART ONE OF SIX)
1. This is an action request; please see paragraphs 2 and 3.
2. In order to comply with Leahy vetting requirements, this cable forwards the names and biodata of fifty (50) Afghan National Police (ANP) field grade officers selected for positions in the Central Command Center. When there are individuals with one name, Post has made a good faith effort to ensure that these individuals actually only have one name. This is the first in a series of six cables.
3. IMPORTANT NOTE: The international community recently approved pay increases for ANP company grade officers (captains and lieutenants); however, pay increases for the field grade ANP personnel will not be approved until completion of Rank Reform. Currently, ANP field grade personnel earn less than their Afghan National Army (ANA) equivalents, a situation that is causing severe morale problems. Completion of the ANP Rank Reform process will significantly alleviate deteriorating morale, which is why Post requests the Department's expedited vetting and response at the earliest possible date. Post greatly appreciates Department's strong support for completing the ANP Rank Reform process.
4. Following is the biodata for the 50 ANP officers:
1. Name: Abdul Ghafor Father's Name: Akbar Khan Grandfather's Name: Age: 47 POB: Ethnicity: Pashtun Job Selected For: CID Director