Identifier
Created
Classification
Origin
05TELAVIV4194
2005-07-06 06:38:00
CONFIDENTIAL
Embassy Tel Aviv
Cable title:  

GOI OFFICIAL REAFFIRMS POLICY ON GAZA HOUSES,

This record is a partial extract of the original cable. The full text of the original cable is not available.
C O N F I D E N T I A L TEL AVIV 004194 

SIPDIS

PLS BRING TO ATTENTION OF S, PA AND NEA AT OOB

E.O. 12958: DECL: 07/06/2010
TAGS: IS KPAL PREL XF GAZA DISENGAGEMENT ISRAELI PALESTINIAN AFFAIRS
SUBJECT: GOI OFFICIAL REAFFIRMS POLICY ON GAZA HOUSES,
DENIES NEW YORK TIMES ARTICLE

Classified By: Ambassador Daniel C. Kurtzer for reasons 1.4 (b) and (d)

C O N F I D E N T I A L TEL AVIV 004194

SIPDIS

PLS BRING TO ATTENTION OF S, PA AND NEA AT OOB

E.O. 12958: DECL: 07/06/2010
TAGS: IS KPAL PREL XF GAZA DISENGAGEMENT ISRAELI PALESTINIAN AFFAIRS
SUBJECT: GOI OFFICIAL REAFFIRMS POLICY ON GAZA HOUSES,
DENIES NEW YORK TIMES ARTICLE

Classified By: Ambassador Daniel C. Kurtzer for reasons 1.4 (b) and (d)


1. (C) Shalom Turgeman, Prime Minister Sharon's foreign
policy advisor, told the Ambassador early July 6 that the
GOI's policy with respect to Gaza houses remains as conveyed
to the Secretary, namely, the GOI will destroy the Gaza
houses during the evacuation of the settlements, the
Palestinians will remove the rubble, and the Palestinians
will not be responsible for paying for the operation.
Turgeman said Sharon had made this policy clear during his
July 5 appearance before the Knesset Foreign Affairs and
Defense Committee. Turgeman specifically denied the New York
Times article which quoted an unnamed Israeli official as
saying no such deal has been finalized and that the Secretary
had been misinformed of Israel's position. Turgeman's
assertion was seconded by Sharon's senior advisor Dov
Weissglas in a July 4 conversation with the Ambassador, in
which Weissglas said the arrangement stands and that ISRAEL
knows it is responsible for arranging to pay for the removal
of the rubble.


2. (C) Turgeman said it is clear that the source of the New
York Times article is Vice Premier Shimon Peres, who has been
waging a rear guard action against the government's decision
on Gaza housing. Turgeman said Sharon does not feel the need
to say anything more publicly on the matter, having made his
statement yesterday in the Knesset committee.

********************************************* ********************
Visit Embassy Tel Aviv's Classified Website:
http://www.state.sgov.gov/p/nea/telaviv

You can also access this site through the State Department's
Classified SIPRNET website.
********************************************* ********************
KURTZER

Share this cable

 facebook -  bluesky -