This record is a partial extract of the original cable. The full text of the original cable is not available.
UNCLAS THE HAGUE 002734
STATE PASS FSI/SLS/CTT/ICOSSICH
E.O. 12958: N/A TAGS: AFSI AMGT KFLO NL SUBJECT: REQUEST FOR FSI DIRECT FUNDING INITIATIVE CONSIDERATION
1. Summary: Post welcomes the Direct Funding Initiative (DFI) for embassy language programs and appreciates the opportunity to compete for funding. We have a vigorous and growing language program focused particularly on our specialists, EFMs and MSGs. Our DFI request for FY2005 will support this mature program with modern, popular, location-flexible learning materials especially suited to beginners. To further support these beginners, post also requests DFI funding for our tried and proven Out and About program of enjoyable and practical classroom sessions and immersion field trips. End Summary.
2. Post has a robust and active language program serving State officers and specialists and their EFMs as well as post's MSG and other agencies. Two professional language instructor contractors offer classes to students of all levels. The embassy has set aside a classroom and library space for language learning and materials. Post's other agencies' personnel also participate in the language program on a reimbursable basis. In FY2004 the embassy funded language classes for eligible employees and EFMs from post funds.
3. Post has a set of Code Nederland textbooks, workbooks and audiocassette tapes which were purchased in FY2003 with DFI money. Post's past, current and prospective students and our instructors told language program coordinator they want better organized, more technologically appropriate language materials. Along with language textbooks and workbooks, our students prefer audio CDs and CD-ROM supplements that allow for independent study. Dutch private language schools and universities, as well as our instructors with their other clients, use the Taal Vitaal Dutch language program. Post officers with experience learning languages say Taal Vitaal is among the best programs they have worked with. Our instructors have experience with it, and say it is the best Dutch language program available. Taal Vitaal combines a frequently updated, easy to use textbook and workbook with audio CDs and a CD-ROM for listening comprehension, pronunciation exercises and self-study. It offers the right mix of classroom material and independent study possibilities. Post's computers are capable of playing Taal Vitaal's audio CDs and CD-ROMs. In order to also use the CDs in the classroom, post hopes DFI will fund a portable CD player.
4. Students also enjoy the embassy's seven-week Out and About course. Funded by post's 2002 DFI grant, the course was written by our instructors and has since been updated for use with direct hires and EFMs in both Amsterdam (at the consulate) and Embassy The Hague. The Out and About course combines seven 1.5-hour classroom and field trip sessions to give students a chance to practice in everyday situations what they have learned in the classroom. This program serves as a practical, interesting pre-requisite to further post language program participation. The funds requested for this course will pay the instructor who leads the program. We would like to offer the course two times next year.
5. Detailed Budget Notes: All budget costs are in US dollars. 1 USD = Euros .79
Item Quantity Price Total Cost
- Taal Vitaal Textbook 20 36.83 736.60 CD for Textbook 20 27.56 551.18 Workbook 20 29.21 584.20 CD-ROM 20 33.02 660.40 Teacher's Manual 2 19.94 39.88 Portable CD Player 1 101.59 101.59
-- Materials Total 2673.85 Sales Taxes (19 %) 508.03 Materials plus Taxes 3181.88
Out and About Course 2 466.73 933.45
--- GRAND TOTAL REQUEST 4115.33
6. Post Language Program Coordinator is Joseph F. Trimble. He can be contacted at TrimbleJF@state.gov, or at 31 70 310-9274. SOBEL