This record is a partial extract of the original cable. The full text of the original cable is not available.
C O N F I D E N T I A L DJIBOUTI 001551
E.O. 12958: DECL: 11/24/2014 TAGS: KCRM PHUM ASEC ELAB EAID DJ SUBJECT: EMBASSY DJIBOUTI REQUESTS PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT FOR HOST NATION LAW ENFORCEMENT
REF: SECSTATE 248009
Classified By: Pol/Econ Erinn C. Reed for reasons 1.4 (b) and (d).
1. (U) This is an action request.
2. (C) Djibouti is a small East African nation with a stable government, but has porous borders and exists amid conflicts in neighboring Ethiopia, Eritrea and Somalia. Djibouti is thus impacted negatively by the problem of large numbers of refugees and illegal immigrants. However, little trafficking in persons can be found.
3. (C) The host government's primary focus is transnational terrorism and it has been consistently eager and cooperative in the Global War on Terrorism. Yet, law enforcement capacity is at best limited. Despite Djibouti's strong will, identification, investigation, mitigation and prevention of transnational terrorism and illegal immigration are especially problematic with the present capacity. Djibouti's law enforcement is underfunded, suffers a lack of physical resources, and a distinct absence of professional development, research, and ability to train future forces.
4. (C) Current anti-terrorism programs address immediate, short-term training needs, but fail to provide sustainability and long-term development of law enforcement agencies in Djibouti. Post holds that proposals aimed at reinforcing overall capacity are preferable over those aimed at a single aspect of law enforcement problems in Djibouti. For example, a program that addresses the porous nature of Djibouti's borders with long-term sustainable law enforcement training would prevent transnational terrorism, trafficking in persons and illegal immigration and would better suit the needs of the host nation and the interests of the United States.
5. (U) Action request: Post requests that INL consider developing a program that provides grass roots and academy training, enhances the long-term capacity of host country National Security Services, and allows for the professional development of law enforcement. RAGSDALE