|03KUWAIT4960||2003-10-28 12:44:00||CONFIDENTIAL||Embassy Kuwait|
This record is a partial extract of the original cable. The full text of the original cable is not available.
1. (U) This is an action request. Please see para 5.
2. (C) MFA Undersecretary, Ambassador Khaled Al-Jarallah told
the Ambassador during an October 28 telephone conversation
that Syria has invited Foreign Ministers from states
bordering Iraq to a meeting in Damascus on November 1 to
discuss Iraq. Jarallah said Syria sent invitations to
Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Turkey, Iran and Egypt, but had
excluded Bahrain, a previous invitee to such meetings. No
representatives of the Iraqi Governing Council were invited.
3. (C) Jarallah said Kuwaiti FM Shaykh Dr. Mohammed Al-Sabah
would represent Kuwait at the meeting, adding that his
purpose in doing so would be to express outrage at the fact
that Iraq did not receive an invitation. Jarallah was unable
to provide further details on the agenda of the meeting, but
expressed that the GOK felt the Syrians were "up to no good."
In response to the Ambassador's question, U/S Jarallah said
the GOK had not yet consulted other invitees but that FM Dr.
Mohammed will call the Egyptian and Jordanian FM's soon.
4. (C) The Ambassador agreed that the exclusion of Iraq from
the meeting was unacceptable and expressed appreciation that
U/S Jarallah had shared this information. The Ambassador
said he would consult with Washington and relay any further
USG reaction to U/S Jarallah.
5. (C) Action Request: Please advise how post should respond
to the GOK.
6. (U) Baghdad Minimize Considered.