1. (U) On 08/29/08, Consul General Cecilia Elizondo-Herrera convened an expanded Emergency Action Committee (EAC) to provide a briefing on the projected course of Hurricane Gustav, and to review post preparations.
2. (U) CG Elizondo-Herrera related that the hurricane was projected to make landfall well north of the Matamoros area, but that a possibility existed for the storm to turn south and enter the Consulate area.
3. (U) Post's MGT section has prepared all official residences to have their windows boarded, and GSO staff is on stand-by, should the call be made to proceed with securing the residences. GSO will ensure that post's emergency generator fuel tanks are full, and that sufficient cash is on hand to purchase extra fuel. IPO conducted radio checks this past week, and will distribute car chargers for all Consulate cell phones.
4. (U) Acting CONS Chief is in contact with host-country counterparts for their disaster preparedness plans, and is reaching out to local hospitals and hotels to inquire about American citizens. NIV chief advised that post will require approximately 48 hours time to cancel visa appointments, should the hurricane begin movement toward the Matamoros area. Press releases are already prepared should the need arise to advise the public of a Consulate closing. The CG sent out today a reminder to all staff that preparing for any eventuality is best and recommended that personnel stock up on water and batteries and other useful items this weekend.
5. (U) RSO is hosting nine temporary-duty visitors. TDY personnel were briefed on the hurricane, and will be in close contact with the Consulate, should the storm's course change and their departure be sooner.
6. (U) Point of contact for this matter is Consulate General Cecilia Elizondo-Herrera, who can be reached at 011-52-868-812-4402, ex. 243.