DE RUEHNC #1245 2120800
ZNY CCCCC ZZH
O 310800Z JUL 06
FM AMEMBASSY NICOSIA
TO RUEHC/SECSTATE WASHDC IMMEDIATE 6557
INFO RUEHLB/AMEMBASSY BEIRUT PRIORITY 4193
RHMFISS/CDR USCENTCOM MACDILL AFB FL PRIORITY
C O N F I D E N T I A L NICOSIA 001245
PLEASE PASS TO USAID
E.O. 12958: DECL: 08/01/2016 TAGS: AEMR ASEC KPAO MGT LE CY KFLO CASC AMGT SUBJECT: TFLE01: CYPRUS SITREP 26 AS OF 0800 LOCAL, MONDAY, JULY 31, 2006
REF: A. NICOSIA 1243
B. NICOSIA 1242 AND PREVIOUS
C. STATE 124163
D. STATE 124285
Classified By: Ambassador Ronald L. Schlicher, reasons 1.4 B/D
1. (C) Summary: Total headcount of U.S.-assisted arrivals and departures as of 0800L remained the same (13,534 and 10,280). The last two U.S. charter flights are still scheduled to depart July 31 and August 1. Post predicts that either all or nearly all of the requests for humanitarian parole will have been adjudicated by the time the last U.S.-chartered flight departs August 2. End summary.
2. (C) DCM will brief the MFA regarding American citizens and those who arrived in Cyprus with U.S. assistance, drawing upon points in reftel C. DAO has received written approval to donate the supplies remaining on hand at the Cyprus International Fairgrounds (cots, showers, medical supplies and consumables to the GOC.
3. (C) The following are consular updates:
--Total headcount of U.S.-assisted arrivals and departures as of 0800L remained the same (13,534 and 10,280). Post expects the arrival of one helicopter late July 31.
--The last two U.S. charter flights are still scheduled to depart July 31 and at 0300L August 2. A new headcount late July 30 of people at the Fairgrounds totaled 475. We expect the July 31 charter flight to be full (capacity 350).
--With two full days remaining until the departure of the last flight at 0300L on August 2, CONS predicts DHS will finalize decisions in all remaining parole cases. DHS interview procedures include explaining to applicants that they have the right to appeal (two negative decisions were overturned July 31). Officers are also explaining, however, that regardless of the appeals process, U.S. financial assistance (other than standard CONS overseas citizens' services) will end after the last charter flight.
4. (C) Post will reinforce security at the Fairgrounds on August 1 in an effort to remove all people remaining there. We are also evaluating our overall security posture as per reftel D.
5. (U) Embassy is announcing the last charter flight on our website and in a press release to alert U.S. citizens who are staying outside the Fairgrounds and who may need transportation to the United States. We are also contacting local hotels where we believe U.S. arrivals may be staying. SCHLICHER