DE RUEHKG #1606 2291642
ZNR UUUUU ZZH
P 171642Z AUG 06
FM AMEMBASSY KINGSTON
TO SECSTATE WASHDC PRIORITY 3390
UNCLAS KINGSTON 001606
STATE FOR WHA/CAR (BUDDEN)
E.O. 12958: N/A TAGS: OTRA EFIN AMGT JM SUBJECT: COUNTRY CLEARANCE GRANTED: DOT JOSEPH TRAINI
REF: SECSTATE 134914
1. Post grants country clearance to Joseph Traini, International Transportation Specialist of the Office of the Secretary, Office of International Transportation and Trade
SIPDIS of the U.S. Department of Transportation for travel to Jamaica August 21, 2006 through August 27, 2006. Post understands the traveler is to participate in a meeting of the Western Hemisphere Transportation Initiative (WHTI) and a Maritime Working Group (MWG) meeting.
2. The Control Officer for this visit will be Economic Officer John Morgan, telephone number (876) 935-6028; Fax no. (876) 935-6029.
3. Post confirms that no additional assistance is required.
4. Visitors traveling to Jamaica for periods of 14 or fewer days do not require a visa.
5. There has been no specific threat directed against official American visitors or American tourists who visit Jamaica. However, Jamaica has been designated a high threat country because of street crime. It is recommended that caution be exercised while traveling in Kingston. Walking after dark is not advised. Care should be taken if driving at night. Overall, the same level of awareness should be exercised as in a similar sized city in the United States.
6. Travelers' checks can be exchanged for Jamaican dollars at a local bank located near the Embassy. ATM machines are also available.