|05DJIBOUTI608||2005-06-23 14:29:00||UNCLASSIFIED||Embassy Djibouti|
This record is a partial extract of the original cable. The full text of the original cable is not available.
1. (U) Action requested para. 5
2. (U) Over the past year we have made a great deal of
progress towards a New Embassy Compound (NEC) for Djibouti.
We identified a site, negotiated and signed a conditional
purchase agreement, and provided a steady stream of data
and information to the Department on this project. This
information is crucial to the security and operational
effectiveness of the new embassy and its personnel. We
have received several OBO visitors and teams working on the
NEC Project and the Government of Djibouti has dealt with
them in good faith and with openness. Djibouti has
committed in writing to building two roads, two transformer
stations, telecommunications links, storm drains, water
utility lines, and electrical lines connecting to the NEC
site. I know that planning for this work is well advanced.
3. (U) This is a poor government and it planned on using
part of the sale price ($1,500,000) to finance these works.
We now appear to have run into a roadblock in completing
the sale by a seemingly endless series of additional
questions, requests, and reiterations of questions and
requests from OBO on the project directed to the Government
of Djibouti. A week ago we sent in a bundle of answers and
materials on a wide range of questions posed by an OBO team
that the Djiboutian government, and we, believed satisfied
our information requirements. Yesterday (June 22), we
received two (2) more series of questions and requests that
will further delay completing the purchase of the NEC site.
4.(U) The Djibutian government, a dependable partner in the
Global War on Terror, now sees us as dragging our feet in
this matter and wonder if the questions will ever end. The
Minister of Foreign Affairs, Mahmoud Ali Yousuf, queried
the continuing conditions for payment and approached me
directly on June 22 to ask if the USG can at least agree to
release to Djibouti at least half the money ($750,000) owed
it for the purchase with the balance to be paid when all
additional OBO requirements are met.
5. (U) Action Requested: If possible under existing USG
regulations, we request OBO's support of the Minister's
request. If regulations preclude such partial payment, I
ask that we put together, urgently, a complete and final
list of requirements from Djibouti that, when fulfilled,
will definitively allow a transfer of funds.
Unfortunately, the conditional purchase agreement, follow-
up letters, and official diplomatic note have not succeeded
in producing a definitive list and we may eventually lose
this site if there are more (add-ons) to our requirements.