|05DJIBOUTI292||2005-03-22 13:40:00||UNCLASSIFIED||Embassy Djibouti|
This record is a partial extract of the original cable. The full text of the original cable is not available.
1. This is an action cable: see paragraph 5
2. The A2D2 installation at post has reached a stand still.
GITM, A2D2 and RIMC personnel have all departed post. The A2D2-U
migration was completed on 15 March. GITM Team member Ramon Quash
returned to the States the same day, as his expertise
was not required for the remaining migration.
3. Due to the non-availability of A2D2-C equipment, GITM team
member Burton Mason returned to the States on 20 March and RIMC team
members Dennis Jackson and Alaaeldin Saeed returned to Pretoria on 22
4. The A2D2-C equipment suffered multiple delays for shipment to
Djibouti. A synopsis of events follows:
- The equipment was scheduled to arrive at post on or about
the arrival of the migration team. When the equipment did not arrive
via the regularly scheduled 03 March 2005 courier, responsible parties
in GITM were contacted and plans were made to have the equipment sent
via a special courier arriving in Djibouti via Air France on 13 March.
The special courier arrived in Paris but due to scheduling problems,
Embassy Paris was unable to provide escort for the Diplomatic crate
during the multiple hour stay between connecting flights.
- An attempt was then made to provide special courier service to
Djibouti via the scheduled Air France cargo flight departing Paris on
the evening of 16 March and arriving in Djibouti on 17 March, but this
flight was cancelled for reasons unknown to post.
- A rescheduling of the special courier was attempted for the Air
France passenger service Paris to Djibouti departing 19 March and
arriving in Djibouti on 20 March. Due to an ongoing dispute regarding
the French requiring the inspection of Diplomatic Pouches by x-ray, it
was decided that the special courier service would be cancelled, and
the A2D2-C equipment was forwarded to American Consul Frankfurt by
truck until arrangements can be made for shipment of the materials to
5. Djibouti requests the following information: What is the best
guess estimate for the arrival of this equipment in Djibouti? How soon
can an installation team be scheduled to come to Djibouti to complete
the A2D2-C project?