This record is a partial extract of the original cable. The full text of the original cable is not available. 101403Z Dec 03
1. (U) Classified by Political Military Counselor Timothy
Betts. Reasons: 1.5b and d.
2. (U) This is an action requestion. See para 5.
3. (C) Reftel is a request for Embassy human rights
vetting/certification for Turkish participation in this JCET,
which is scheduled to take place in Turkey on February
10-March 2, 2004. The exercise, which is designed to enhance
small infantry training and teaching skills, will improve US
and Turkish capabilities in military combat operations and
provide valuable training in mission essential tasks.
4. (C) The participating Turkish unit is the 10th Special
Forces Group (Airborne, 10SFG). Embassy has reviewed its
files and can find no derogatory information on this unit.
5. (C) Action request: Post requests that the Department
conduct required human rights vetting and provide a response
to post (with an information copy to COMSOCEUR) by NLT XXX.
If a response is received later than this date, SOCEUR
advises the exercise will have to be canceled. The embassy
regrets the short time frame involved in this request and
appreciates any assistance the Department may be able to
provide to respond in a timely manner.