This record is a partial extract of the original cable. The full text of the original cable is not available.
C O N F I D E N T I A L AMMAN 001424
DOD FOR OSD - DR. KEITH DUNN
E.O. 12958: DECL: 3/10/2004 TAGS: EAIR MOPS JO SUBJECT: JORDANIAN AIRLIFT SUPPORT FOR OEF
REF: AMMAN 1251
Classified by Ambassador Edward W. Gnehm. Reasons 1.5 (b) and (d).
1. (sbu) In a March 10 letter to the embassy Royal Jordanian Airlines (RJ) CEO Samer Majali confirmed RJ's offer to provide uplift support for OEF operations in the region. The text of the letter, including approximate hourly rates for passenger and cargo charter flights, is transmitted below. In a phone conversation with ECON/C, Majali noted that these rates were subject to discussion.
2. (c) The Ambassasdor also raised potential RJ uplift support to the coalition with Foreign Minister Marwan al-Muasher on March 9. Muasher confirmed that the Jordanian government would welcome such activity, especially given RJ's difficult financial circumstances (see reftel).
3. (sbu) Begin text of Majali letter.
Reference our discussions regarding the operation of charter flights, it is my pleasure to confirm to you RJ's interest in operating charter flights based on the following generic (appoximate) rates per block hour:
A340 Aircraft: US$7,900 (23 J/class and 223 Y class) A310 Aircraft: US$5,900 (17 J/class and 181 Y class) A320 Aircraft: US$3,900 (11 J/class and 127 Y class) A310 Freighter: US$5,900 B707 Freighter: US$4,900
Please note that the above rates are based on current insurance and fuel rates and will be subject to change if insurance or fuel rates increase. In addition, the above rates are net to RJ and it include all operational expenses, but excluding any royalties or taxes, if to be paid to foreign authorities.
Finally, the above rates are based on large number of flights and that we will operate a series of flights, not one or few charter flights.
I hope you will find the above rates satisfactory, and please do not hesitate to contact me if you need any further information.
4. (sbu) Majali's contact numbers are as follows: Direct phone: 962-6-567-8160, Main RJ number: 962-6-568-8925. Fax: 962-6-567-9243.
5. (sbu) Embassy point of contact is Econ Chief Tom Goldberger: office phone 962-6-592-7956. office fax: 962-6-592-7653. IVG 8-978-2556. Mobile/afterhours: 962-79-560-8995. GNEHM